A Smoketown Health Ministry
(Harambee is an African Swahil word that means, "Let's Pull together")
We strive to help persons with need, to engage in healthy behaviors, live in an environment that supports health, and have appropriate access to health care.
We believe in holistic health of the mind, body and spirit, nourished by supportive economic, environmental, occupations and other resources.
We are guided by an innovative, inter-professional team that is passionate about improving the health of persons with need
Harambee Health Center. Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt, non-profit orgcanization, incorporated in March 2012, located at 800 South Preston Street, Louisville, KY 40203 (at the Youth Build Louisville campus). At date to be determined, Harambee will also be in the Sheppard Square, Historic, Presbyterian Community Center currently under renovation by the Louisville Metro Housing Authority, Inc.
Health programs currently include:
- Harambee for Hearts - a heart disease prevention program. Funded by the Good Samaritan Foundation Inc. a ministry of the Kentucky Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Convenient Care Clinic to be opened late 2014...Funded by the Mid-Presbytery of the Presbyterian
- HIV Prevention and Screening Clinic to be opened late 2014...stay tuned.
- Ongoing wellness programs.
Youth Build Louisville, Inc., Louisville Metro Housing Authority, Inc., New Directions Housing Corporation, Inc., Choose-Well, Mid-Kentucky Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church. Sullivan College of Pharmacy.
- Member: Kentucky and Louisville Centers for Non-Profit Excellence
- Accounting Firm: Eiche, Smith & Company, Inc. www.escocpsa.com
- Attorney: Glenn Bossmeyer
- Creative and Technical Consulting, stacysmith.com
- Credentialing/Billing: Choose-Well, LLC.
Harambee is an American Academy of Nursing "EdgeRunner" program, an innovative health care program that offers new ideas to improve the health.
Video About Harambee
The American Academy of Nursing produced the video below to highlight Harambee's history, needs of low income communities and financial stresses. (See video below). We are happy to report that due to the strong support of several organizations, Harambee currently in a stronger position. We leave this video to remind all that we need support to continue our work.