A Smoketown Health Ministry
(Harambee is an African Swahil word that means, "Let's Pull together")
We strive to help persons with need, to engage in healthy behaviors, live in an environment that supports health, and have appropriate access to health care.
We believe in holistic health of the mind, body and spirit, nourished by supportive economic, environmental, occupational and other resources.
We are guided by an innovative, inter-professional team that is passionate about improving the health of persons with need
Harambee Health Center. Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt, non-profit orgcanization, incorporated in March 2012, located at 800 South Preston Street, Louisville, KY 40203 (at the Youth Build Louisville campus). At date to be determined, Harambee will also be in the Sheppard Square, Historic, Presbyterian Community Center currently under renovation by the Louisville Metro Housing Authority, Inc.
Health programs currently include:
- Urgent / Convenient Care Clinic to be opened part \-time in May 2015, gradually increasing in hours of service. Funded by the Mid-Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church
- HIV Prevention and Screening Clinic conducted onsite upon request
- HIV Peer Prevention Counseling and Testing program. Supported by the Department of Public Health - HIV Division.
- Cooper Clayton Smoking Cessation classes ongoing.
- Mental Health services in process.
Youth Build Louisville, Inc., Louisville Metro Housing Authority, Inc., New Directions Housing Corporation, Inc., Choose-Well, Mid-Kentucky Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church. KY Department of Public Health - HIV Division.
- Member: Center for Non-Profit Excellence
- Accounting Firm: Eiche, Smith & Company, Inc. www.escocpsa.com
- Attorney: Glenn Bossmeyer
- Creative and Technical Consulting, stacysmith.com
- Credentialing/Billing: Choose-Well, LLC.
Harambee is an American Academy of Nursing "EdgeRunner" program, an innovative health care program that offers new ideas to improve the health.
Video About Harambee
The American Academy of Nursing produced the video below to highlight Harambee's history, needs of low income communities and financial stresses. (See video below). We are happy to report that due to the strong support of several organizations, Harambee currently in a stronger position. We leave this video to remind all that we need support to continue our work.